Good morning everyone. I hope this post finds you all well.
Tomorrow being Valentine’s Day is a day about love. We all know that God is all about Love. I thought that this might be a great time to share some extremely profound quotes from Fulton Sheen that I came across that really inspired me for this February 2023 post.
Fulton Sheen, for those of you who don’t know him, is a famous American Bishop and then Monsignor of the Catholic Church, ordained in 1919, well known for his preaching on television and radio. He became an extremely renowned theologian. In essence, his quotes all bring us back to God’s true character and mandate for us all: LOVE. So here we go !
1) There are not 100 people in the United States who hate the Catholic church, but there are millions who hate what they wrongly perceive the Catholic church to be.
2) The refusal to take sides on great moral issues is itself a decision. It is a silent acquiescence to evil. The tragedy of our time is that those who still believe in honesty lack fire and conviction, while those believe in dishonesty are full of passionate conviction.
3) America, it is said, is suffering from intolerance – it is not. It is suffering from tolerance. Tolerance of right and wrong, truth and error, virtue and evil, Christ and chaos. Our country is not so nearly overrun with the bigoted as it is overrun with the broadminded.
4) Moral principles do not depend on a majority vote. Wrong is wrong, even if everybody is wrong. Right is right, even if nobody is right.
5) Prayer begins by talking to God, but it ends by listening to Him. In the face of absolute truth, silence is the soul’s language.
6) Civilization is always in danger when those who have never learned to obey are given the right to command.
7) When a man loves a woman, he has to become worthy of her. The higher her virtue, the more noble her character, the more devoted she is to truth, justice, goodness, the more a man has to aspire to be worthy of her. The history of civilization could actually be written in terms of the level of its women. God does not love us because we are valuable. We are valuable because God loves us.
9) Freedom does not mean the right to do whatever we please, but rather to do what we ought. The right to do whatever we please reduces freedom to a physical power and forgets that freedom is a moral power.
10) If you do not worship God you worship something, and nine times out of ten it will be yourself. You have a duty to worship God, not because He will be imperfect or unhappy if you do not, but because you will be imperfect and unhappy if you don’t.
11) The humble simple souls, who are little enough to see the bigness of God in the littleness of a Babe, are therefore the only ones who will ever understand the reason of His visitation. He came to this poor earth of ours to carry on an exchange; to say to us, as only the good God can say; ‘you give me your humanity, and I will give you my Divinity; you give me your time, and I will give you my eternity; you give me your broken heart, and I will give you Love; you give me your nothingness, and I will give you my all’.
12) Many souls do not find God because they want a religion which will remake society without remaking themselves.
Lots of “food for thought” for this month as you chew on these quotes by Monsignor Fulton Sheen
Happy Valentine’s Day tomorrow to you all. Love MJ xo